Sunday, July 3, 2011

The weekend starts on Thursday night in Dublin too!


This is shirt I legitimately saw someone wearing in the City Centre. This is just one of the examples of shirts I've seen, along with post cards that have Obama's face on them. The Irish really do love Obama, and hate Bush.


After four long days I think I finally got my bearings in Dublin. We had our third class, and it was on Religion. Not exactly my forte, but I actually really enjoyed it. After class Martin took us on our next field trip. We went to the National museum of Ireland. We visited the exhibits on Ireland gaining their Independence, and Martin has repeated the same story to us on Irelands Independence I could now teach a course on it. Then, of course, we visited the exhibit on Fashion in Ireland over the last thousand years. On our way home from the museum we met a guy who went to Auburn. Tricia was excited because it was someone else from the south, but me on the other hand, I had some not so nice things to say. He did inform us of a bar called the woolshed that was having a karaoke night. When Tricia and I heard the world karaoke, our faces lit up like little kids on Christmas Morning. When us girls got to the karaoke bar later that night, Tricia and I marched right up to the DJ and requested to see Sweet Caroline. We were so anxious for it to be our turn we continued to be annoying americans and check in every 10 minutes to see if we were up yet. After 2 hours of checking in we moved on to bigger and better things....the gay bar. The gay bar was fabulous, obviously, but it had way too many straight men in it. Men would come up and talk to us, we would assume they were gay, and then they would be offended that we made that assumption. Straight guys, should not go to gay bars to hit on women....doesn't work like that.

Friday morning came and went, because all of us took that time to catch up on some sleep. We met Martin in the afternoon to go to Kilmainham Jail, which has by far been our best field trip yet. I think I learned the most history about Ireland while on the tour of the jail, than I have on all of our other field trips combined. After the jail us girls wanted to find out for ourselves what this Obama burger was all about. This thing was Huge! loaded with bacon, cheese, and all of that good stuff. I was surprised how good it was, since we were at an Irish fast food joint. After we all came back to our dorms, and relaxed for a little before going out with everyone in our program. My friend Jenny, who is in my sorority, is doing an internship in Dun Laoghaire, which is right outside of Dublin. She took the bus up to DCU to go out with all of us for the night. It was so nice to see a familiar face in a new city. The huge group of 16 of us went to Stags Head, which was really fun, and then to Flannary's, which was full of old smelly men, and bad music. We all ignored the smell and the men, and managed to have a great tim with all of our friends. At the end of the night we found a great late night kabob restaurant, for some late night munchies. It was definitely not taco bell status, but it will do. Going to bed after another long day felt so nice, but I wouldn't get to sleep long, because we need to be up early in the morning to catch our bus to Galway for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment