Saturday, July 9, 2011

My second week in Dublin

Sorry I have been so terrible at blogging this week! I have no idea where the time has gone. Iv been here for almost two weeks now, and it feels like i've been here for years! This week was filled with class, field trips, and great craic! Monday was the 4th of July as all of you back in the states know. The Irish don't really care to much about other countries national holidays, like the Americans do. In America, or in college to be more specific we use any countries holidays as an excuse to drink, whether it be St. Patrick's Day, or Cinco de Mayo. The Irish on the other hand don't need an excuse to drink, for the Irish Monday night is an excuse itself. All of us girls got dressed up in our best red white and blue, went out and bought American beer, and played American drinking games to celebrate the 4th! The 4th was the first day I felt a little homesick, missing out on all the great traditions, celebrating with friends, and watching fireworks. Fireworks are illegal in Ireland so we didn't get to see any on the 4th, which really sucked. On Tuesday we had class again with Don, who is our study abroad director here, and one of our teachers. He is a cute old man, who tends to say inappropriate things. For example he told us a story about how when he was a teenager, condoms were illegal in Ireland, so him and his friends took a train to Northern Ireland and attempted to smuggle condoms back and sell them on the black market. As well as "Girly Magazines", when he said girly I turned to Tricia and asked if he was talking about Cosmo...I was very wrong. Don was definitely talking about Porn magazines.

Tuesday out field trip was to the writers museum, which was a little boring, but I did learn a few things. And then Tuesday night we all had lazy night to rest up, and Tricia and I went to go see Bridesmaids! At the end of the movie one of the characters says to another your ride is here, and the entire theater starts cracking up. Tricia and I look at each other with puzzled expressions and then look around the theater at everyone laughing, and then look back at the screen to see if we can figure out what is so funny. Finally a light bulb went off in my head and I remembered that Martin had told us a ride means sex....so in the movie she basically said "hey your sex is here". I definitely felt like an America when it took me so long to catch onto an Irish joke.
Wednesday we had class again. Today class was on myth and theories of Northern Ireland, which I actually found really interesting. Our field trip in the afternoon was to The national Gallery. There was a Jack Yeats Exhibit there, and I fell in love with one of his paintings titled Morning in the City. After the Museum 5 of us girls decided to take our own little field trip to the Guinness Store house. We learned all about how to make Guinness and we even learned how to poor our own Guinness. All of us girls are trying to save money in any way that we can. So today we decided we would save money by walking all the way to the guinness factory instead of taking the bus. It ended up being an hour long walk, but we made the walk go by faster by singing every Disney song we could think of! If we didn't look like Americans before, we definitely did when we were belting out Disney songs in Dublin. Wednesday night we went to the bar here right on campus called nu bar, and played beer pong against some Irish guys, and it got pretty heated when we realized we were losing at our own game! But we turned it around and ended up winning!

Thursday Morning we all woke up early and went into Dublin City Centre and went to Dublin Castle. Dublin Castle is my second favorite field trip so far right behind Kilmainham Jain. It was so beautiful, and full of history! After Dublin Castle all of us went to Eddie Rockets, which is Irelands version of Johnny Rockets. I ordered a salad, and realized that it was one of the first times I had eaten vegetables since I've been here...needless say I went out and bought carrots later on. On thursday we had class from 2 to 5 since we did out field trip in the morning. Our class on Thursday was my favorite class thus far. We talked about Irish stereotypes and american stereotypes, and what the Irish culture is like compared to the states. Thursday night we went to a local bar, which was a good change of pace from the bars in City Centre. It was cheeper and had more locals in it. Bars in City Centre are crawling with tourist, and a lot of American Music!

Friday we didn't have class, but we still had a little field trip to Glasnevin Cemetery. There are so many famous men and women buried here that fought in Irelands many wars to gain their Independence. After our field trip we all walk to go buy our tickets to the Gaelic football match we are going to this sunday! Then we all came back to our dorms and rested up before our friday night festivities! Friday night we went to a few different bars. We went to my favorite bar which is Stags head, and then we bar hopped to a few others. Once the bars started closing we went to Ricks, which is a late night burger joint, and we all got some drunk munchies. Two irish men, who where rather attractive, came up and started talking to us. When we are talking to guys Tricia always finds a way to turn the topic to sports and then continues to get into arguments with the guys about which sports team is better. After a short banter with these attractive Irish men about the Florida Gators, we got into our cab and got on our way!

Saturday was a lazy day, we woke up late, ate breakfast together in our lounge, uploaded pictures, and wrote this blog!! Sorry its so long! I hope everyone in the states is enjoying themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment