Our last night out with everyone and our teacher!
2 weeks ago was my last week in Dublin studying at Dublin City University. Going into this program I knew I would make friends, but I had no idea how close I could become to the people I met. I really made life long friends during my month in Dublin and saying bye to all of them was one of the hardest things I think I am going to have to do this entire trip. The last weekend we were in Ireland we took a trip up to Northern Ireland. We learned more about the was to Independence as well as all the war that is still happening in Northern Ireland between the protestants and the catholics. This whole month in school we have been learning about the war, and what Ireland was and is like. The one thing that I didn't realize until I was in Northern Ireland is how recent all of these wars, happened. We went to a museum about Bloody Sunday, and our tour guides brother died during Bloody Sunday. When I heard our tour guide say that it really set in how extremely recent all of these travesties happened.
Our last week in Dublin we didn't have class. Our teacher gave us the days to work on our final paper that was due on thursday. He told us to write our paper on something in Irish culture that we were interested in. So I obviously picked children and teaching. Ireland is in a recession just like we are, so I wrote about how the recession is affecting schools, families, and other people in the community. Though my days should have been spent writing my paper most of them were spent with my friends attempting to soak up every last bit of Dublin! Our nights were then filled with going to every last bar we wanted to check out, and then going back to all of our favorite bars for the last time. We finally made it to Whalens bar which is were a part of P.S. I Love You was filmed, and a little bar called snail. We aslo went back to a few of our favorite bars, Flanneries, The Globe, and Coppers. Our last night we were all getting ready and the song My Last by Big Sean came on and a group of girls started crying because we were all so sad that it was our last night in Dublin.
The last day in Dublin I said goodbye to all my new friends, maybe cried a little, and then got on my bus to Northern Ireland to visit my distant relatives and learn more about where my family came from.
No comments:
Post a Comment